Friday, August 28, 2009

Tale of Two Cities


I just finished "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. I loved this classic novel! His words just pour over me. Like this section where Dickens describes Tellson's Bank.

"Thus it had come to pass, that Tellson's was the triumphant perfection of inconvenience. After bursting open a door of idiotic obstinacy with a weak rattle in its throat, you fell into Tellson's down two steps, and came to your senses in a miserable little shop, with two little counters, where the oldest of men made your cheque shake as if the wind rustled it, while they examined the signature by the dingiest of windows, which were always under a shower-bath of mud from Fleet-street, and which were made the dingier by their own iron bars proper, and the heavy shadow of Temple Bar."

I LOVE IT! Or this, when Darnay renounces his fortune and title.

"To the eye it is fair enough, here; but seen in its integrity, under the sky and by the daylight, it is a crumbling tower of waste, mismanagement, extortion, debt, mortgage, oppression, hunger, nakedness, and suffering."

How's this for a theme in the book?

"And now that the cloud settled on Saint Antoine, which a momentary gleam had driven from his sacred countenance, the darkness of it was heavy - cold, dirt, sickness, ignorance, and want were the lords in waiting on the saintly presence - nobles of great power all of them; but, most especially the last."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I am still working on the book. It really is captivating. Mr. Dickens is brillant with all of his detailed descriptions. Oh, I can't wait for our "finer things club"! We are soooo snobby. HAHA

Jenny said...

Love it! And love your blog.